Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Creative Space - in Painting Mode

Well I am now putting myself out there.  My passion is my painting and I have found this difficult on my travels.  However, on every journey I have managed to complete at least one but with the heat and rain in NSW I couldn't even get started.  My Blog was to encourage me to get  the gear out and start.  And I'm pretty happy with it so far.


This is my "caravan painting space" and  is more complex  than my  jewellery space.  As I use acrylic paints the outside environment can have a big impact with wind and sun drying the paint very quickly.  Painting inside has its problems with light and space.  I need to paint near the doorway and this is often cramped.   However during the process of this painting the weather was kind and I was able to venture out to get a better perspective of composition and colour. 

The painting I am attempting is of my great niece (Ruby) and nephew (Kai)  playing in a rock pool.  We were bush camped on the south coast of WA east of a fishing village, Hopetoun. 
I needed to establish the background of the rock pool and incorporate  the base colours.  I'm not happy with the right hand rocks as they need to be sunk back and not be such a feature.
It's amazing how you remember information in your art classes.  Often my co students and I commented on how we would  remember all the stuff Pete passes on to us.  I actually managed this time. 

Pete would remind me that to get full perspective I needed to have all the elements included in my composition.   I was having difficulty with the rockpool and it was time to place in Ruby and Kai.  This terrified me.  I tend not to included figures in my paintings as past attempts have not been successful.  I researched my notes and prepared myself with colours and a sketch.  Once I started  I gained more and more confidence and am quite pleased with the start on Ruby. Actually I'm quite exited.

I needed a break before attempting Kai and went for a lovely walk along the beach where we are currently staying on the south coast of NSW.  Feeling refreshed, I returned to the van and mixed the colours and tones needed for Kai and Ruby's dress.  Often I get confused because my palette is not organised and  I didn't want to paint over mistakes which could result in loosing the affinity I felt  for the subjects.
 In my future sessions I need to complete Ruby and Kai and work the background to compliment not compete with them. 

2 comments: